Liverpool terror attack: ‘It’s a miracle I’m alive’ – Taxi driver who survived explosion condemns ‘evil act’

0 0


The taxi driver who survived the Liverpool terror attack has said it is a “miracle that I’m alive” in his first statement since the explosion on Remembrance Sunday.

David Perry and his wife Rachel have thanked the public for their “amazing generosity” in the wake of the attack outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital on 14 November.

In a statement released by the police, Mr Perry said: “On behalf of myself, Rachel and our family, we would like to say thank you to everyone for all your get well wishes and for your amazing generosity. We are completely overwhelmed with it.

Aerial view of damaged car being removed by forensic officer after the explosion at the Liverpool Women's Hospital that killed one person and injured another on Sunday. Suspected terrorist Emad Al Swealmeen, 32, died after the device exploded in a taxi shortly before 11am on Remembrance Sunday. Picture date: Wednesday November 17, 2021.

“A special thanks to the staff at the Liverpool Women’s Hospital, the staff and medical team at Aintree Hospital, Merseyside Police and Counter Terrorism Policing, who have all been amazing.

“I feel like it’s a miracle that I’m alive and so thankful that no one else was injured in such an evil act. I now need time to try to come to terms with what’s happened and focus on my recovery both mentally and physically.

“Please be kind, be vigilant and stay safe.”

Mr Perry managed to escape when a suspected terrorist device exploded in his car on Remembrance Sunday.

On Friday, counter-terror police confirmed that the bomb contained ball bearings and could have caused “significant injury or death”.

Merseyside Police were called at 10.59am on 14 November to reports of a car explosion at Liverpool Women’s Hospital.

Forensic officers at Liverpool Women's Hospital after an explosion killed one person and injured another on Sunday. Suspected terrorist Emad Al Swealmeen, 32, died after the device exploded in a taxi shortly before 11am on Remembrance Sunday. Picture date: Tuesday November 16, 2021.

Mr Perry’s taxi, carrying 32-year-old Emad al Swealmeen, had pulled up to the hospital and exploded shortly afterwards.

Al Swealmeen, who had been picked up from the Rutland Avenue area and asked to be taken to the hospital about 10 minutes away, died at the scene.

Earlier this week, assistant chief constable Russ Jackson, head of Counter Terrorism Policing North West, formally identified Al Swealmeen as the person who died in the explosion at Liverpool Women’s Hospital.

He said Al Swealmeen is believed to have been born in Iraq and most recently lived at Rutland Avenue – and appeared to have made an improvised device that caused the explosion.

Mr Perry has been discharged from hospital after running from his vehicle moments after the attack.

Posting on Facebook on Monday, Mr Perry’s wife Rachel called her husband’s escape “an utter miracle” and said he is “lucky to be alive”.

Al Swealmeen 
Sourced by  Adam Parker

Ms Perry thanked friends for their messages and said her husband was “extremely sore and just trying to process what’s happened”.

“The explosion happened whilst he was in the car and how he managed to escape is an utter miracle,” she wrote.

“He certainly had some guardian angels looking after him.”

Speaking to reporters earlier this week, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Mr Perry had apparently acted with “incredible presence of mind and bravery”, and Liverpool’s mayor praised him for diverting “what could have been an absolutely awful disaster” by locking the taxi’s doors.

But Ms Perry’s statement on Monday appeared to dampen reports that Mr Perry had acted heroically, stating: “There are a lot of rumours flying round about him being a hero and locking the passenger inside the car… but the truth of the matter is, he is without a doubt lucky to be alive.”

She added: “Let’s pray this doesn’t happen to anyone else.”

Please Check before use  
.Liverpool Hospital Car Explosion

A CCTV video captured the moment of the explosion.

It shows the cab slowly pulling up yards from reception and a violent blast sending white smoke and debris shooting into the air as soon as it stops.

Emerging from the smoke, Mr Perry runs from the driver’s side door as a man in a yellow hi-vis vest dashes to help.

The vehicle is then engulfed in flames, but luckily at the moment of explosion the area appears deserted apart from some parked cars.

Police said on Wednesday that they believe he began making “relevant purchases” for his attack in April.

They are also investigating “episodes of mental illness” that he’s believed to have had.

A police officer stands guard near the site where the suspect behind an explosion outside Liverpool Women's Hospital was picked up, in Liverpool, Britain, November 16

His brother has been interviewed to gain an “insight” into the 32-year-old’s state of mind.

Al Swealmeen, an asylum seeker who had converted to Christianity, reportedly arrived in the UK from the Middle East in 2014 and had an application for asylum rejected the following year, but had a fresh appeal ongoing at the time of his death.

The UK’s terror threat level has been raised to severe – meaning an attack is “highly likely” – though police have stressed there is no specific intelligence another attack is imminent.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.